Pancake Day is Upon Us!
One of our favourite holidays, Pancake day is once more upon us, or, as we call it, the OG ‘Zero Waste Day’. The day for using up those cupboard leftovers. But let’s face it. It’s also the day of indulging in a delicious array of fresh toppings to jazz up your crêpes. Guilty as charged. Naturally been giving a great deal of thought as to the ultimate pancake recipe and toppings. Life’s important questions, after all. So whether you’re sweet or already sweet enough, we have plenty of options (while stocks last) to make your Pancake day extra delectable.
Our Assistant Manager, Emma, has been scouring cookbooks and food blogs in search of the best and most exciting pancake recipes to share with you today. We also have a handy-dandy pancake day section in store today, complete with grab-and-go pre-weighed ingredients, and free recipe-cards.
And if you’re looking for another lovely reason to buy your pancake day supplies at our lovely zero-waste shop rather than the local supermarket? You can buy fresh, organic, ingredients in the quantities you need, rather than in pre-packaged bulk. And without any need for nasty plastic packaging :)
Yummy & eco-friendly? It’s a win-win, really.
Monday is the day of our weekly fruit and veg delivery from Riverford, an organic veg box company based in Devon. And so you can be sure of the freshest produce just in time for Pancake day.
Furthermore, we proudly stock Fieldfare, a zero-packaging, organic frozen produce company based in Kent. Did you know that by freezing freshly picked produce, it locks in the vitamins and nutrients until defrosted?
(Tip: to help you carry home your loose, frozen produce, we stock cornstarch, zero-plastic carrier bags for 10p).
This week’s Fruit & Veg delivery included:
Fresh: Bananas, gala apples, kiwi, conference pear, citrus (lemon, orange & blood orange)
Frozen: summer fruits, strawberries, mango, blueberries
Syrups & Spreads
- Honey. Try our delicious, locally sourced, organic raw honey from Poole
- Vegan honea; a honey alternative.
- Canadian maple syrup
- Organic strawberry, raspberry or fig jam.
- Fresh, 100% Nut butters, made-in-store on request;
- Peanut, almond, pecan, hazelnut, cashew, walnut
- Raspberry cashew nut butter
- Chocolate Hazelnut spread
- Chocolate Chips (tip: try melting them gently on a hob and drizzling over your pancakes for an extra decadent treat)
- Montezuma dark chocolate vegan buttons (tip: try crushing them with a rolling pin for delicious flakes of chocolate)
- Dried fruit (tip: finely chop large fried fruits such as figs)
- Cranberries, mango, apricots, figs, prunes, dates, goji berries
- Raisins, sultanas, mixed vine fruit
- Flaked almonds
- Desiccated coconut
- Coconut flakes
- Cacao Nibs
- Nuts (Peanuts, hazelnuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, mixed nuts, brazil nut pieces)
- Nut-based Gluten-free granola (tip: lightly scatter for added crunch)
- Freeze-dried strawberries/raspberries
- Vanilla Pod - for adding flavour to your batter
- Ground Cinnamon
- Herbs de Provence/Mixed herbs (for savoury pancakes)
- Oat-based vegan chocolate
Image from here.
For those of you opting for savoury pancakes, this week’s vegetable delivery included:
- Tomatoes (cherry, large or marmade)
- Curly Kale (in a compostable bag)
- Spring Onions
- Batavia Lettuce
- Mixed Salad (in a compostable bag)
- Egg Benedict
- Fried egg
We’ve got you covered when it comes to your staple pancake-ingredients, with all organic flour, sugar, milk and eggs:
- Plain White Flour
- Gluten-Free Plain White Flour
- Buckwheat Flour
- Organic Rolled or Jumbo Oats
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- Raw Cane Sugar
- Coconut Sugar
- Demerara Sugar
- Cow’s Milk from Dorset-based Meggie Moo’s (semi-skimmed or whole)
- Minor Figures’ Oat Milk
- Made-in-store on request: Almond milk, cashew milk
- Local, organic, free-ranged eggs from Dorset-based Fluffett’s farm
Eleanor: I’ve got my perfect pancakes down to a T. A stack of fluffy, American-style pancakes buried beneath lashings of blueberries, bananas & peanut butter. I pop our Fieldfare’s organic, frozen blueberries into a pan and drizzle them in honey, and heat gently for a quick, homemade blueberry jam. Yum!
Emma: As much as I’m a big fan of the classics, such as lemon juice and sugar, or lashings of nutella, when it comes to Pancake day, I like to go all out, by drizzling gluten-free crêpes in dark chocolate, gently melted on a low heat on the hob. I defrost Fieldfare’s organic frozen summer fruits in advance, and top it off with a generous dose of chantilly cream, and a sprinking of our own roasted hazelnuts (crushed into pieces with a rolling pin).
Fern: While everyone else is indulging their sweet-tooth, I’ll be tucking into a savoury dish of avocado pancakes, served with goats cheese from our neighbour, Renouf’s Pantry, our own Mr Organics Basil Pesto.
I’m also keen to try avocado pancakes with halloumi (again, from Renouf’s), and our own Trodden Black Chilli Jam.