National Carrot Day - Let's Eat Cake!
It seems like there's a national holiday to celebrate just about anything, doesn't it? While the necessity of some may be a little unclear (National Cat Herders Day, anyone?), there are others that we are more than happy to get behind.
This Tuesday, let's celebration National Carrot Day with cake - carrot cake! We've dug through cookbooks and baking blogs to find you the best gluten-free carrot cake recipe!
The World's Best Gluten Free Carrot Loaf Cake
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
180C/160C fan/gas 4
Required: 900g/2lb loaf tin
- 140g unsalted butter + extra for greasing
- 200g coconut sugar
- 250g grated carrots
- 150g sultanas
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g gluten free self raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp gluten free baking powder
- 50g chopped nuts, plus more for decoration
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g cream cheese
- 25g icing sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Beat together the butter and coconut sugar until creamy.
- Add grated carrots and sultanas.
- Lightly beat eggs, and add gradually.
- Sift in flour gradually. Add cinnamon and baking powder and 50g of chopped nuts.
- Mix well, and pour into a greased loaf tin.
- Baking for 50-55 minutes until golden.
- While your carrot cake bakes, you can make the icing. Beat the butter until soft.
- Add cream cheese gradually.
- Add icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Beat until thick and creamy.
- Once your cake has cooled, spread icing on top of your loaf cake.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts to decorate.